Among the many, many credits that I can give to Ravelry (and if you’re already on Ravelry, then you know what I’m talking about), one of the notable personal credits I can give Ravelry is the kudos for inspiring me to make my peace with Tangled Yoke.
While Lil Bro was sleeping over the past week, I was Ravelring (and making up words in the process). What a gem Ravelry is. Until you’re into it, you really can’t comprehend it; it’s quite the vasty network in there.
Anywho, in my clicks and searches and uploads, I checked out the other versions of Tangled Yoke out there…and I got to feeling a little guilty about my situation at home. There’s some lovelies being knitted (or sported, for that matter), and my Tangled Yoke was just sitting in a crumpled heap.
Also, I found that the vast majority of the FOs and WIPs were woolies, which is not to be in anyway offensive to woolies. Woolies are awesomies (also my made-up word) if you can wear um. But if they tend to make you’re skin want to pack up and move to warmer, less wool-friendly climates, then they’re just not ideal. In the case of Tangled Yoke, I got the insatiable urge to show how awesome this cardi can be even without animal fiber.
So what did I do? I ripped. Out came the needle and rip, rip, rip went the semi-tangled yoke. I ripped back to the last row before the decrease that preceeds the charted set-up row (wow, what an awkward way to say that…can’t believe I used to be a magazine editor, huh?), and then took the opportunity to do something yet unattempted with my Tangled Yoke: I tried it on. There couldn’t be a more perfect fit. Talk about inspiration to finish it; now I want to wear it!
I slipped her back onto the needle, worked the decrease row, and then smartened up prior to jumping back into that chart. I made myself a messload of stitch markers out of some of my waste skein of reddish-pink mercerized cotton. Here’s the thing with real stitchmarkers: some of them are really awesome, artwork even. But I can’t stand the extra weight they put on my needles and the awkwardness of knitting around them. I usually just make some little markers out of waste yarn or embroidery floss, and they work just peachy keen for me.
I then worked the Row 1 of the chart, putting the markers in place at the repeats as I went. And guess what: No screw ups! No tinking! No frogging! Who knew it would take so much aggravation to get such a simple solution to pop into my head!
So now I’m thinking reddish-pink, one marker after the next, until this chart is history and Tangled Yoke is cast off. I’m also thinking a trip to the LYS is in store really soon; I’m gonna need a longer US 4 circ if I’m gonna put a button band on this baby.
And I’m also going to need some snazzy little buttons…
No new photos of Tangled Yoke yet because 1) no time for shooting and uploading and editing and fiddling with the posting this week (still part-time nurse, but also full-time flack again) and 2) well, why jinx the progress at this point.
But I hope you enjoyed the charming and adorable fuzziness that is Pip shamelessly plastered all over this post.